Listen to “CHM046:Forming Good Habits as Homeschool Moms” on Spreaker.
This homeschool podcast episode is all about habits- and forming good ones. I’ll be sharing some personal habit-forming struggles I’ve had and what I’m doing to effectively change them. I start off with some famous quotes on forming good habits:
“Your beliefs become your thoughts,Your thoughts become your words,Your words become your actions,Your actions become your habits,Your habits become your values,Your values become your destiny.”― Mahatma Gandhi
“We become what we repeatedly do.”― Sean Covey, The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens
“The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken.”― Samuel Johnson
Reasons people don’t practice forming good habits: Many people procrastinate on forming good habits because of fear of failure or fear that they won’t be successful in their attempts.
Quick tips for habit-forming
- Practice the art of self-discipline.
- Make mental notes of goals and jot them down. It’s always great to write down goals you have- to set them into action.
- Start putting goals into action– a little at a time.
- Rinse, lather repeat. Repeated behavior becomes habit and becomes much easier.
Don’t procrastinate. Get started right away. Forming good habits is also a beautiful way to support our kids as we teach them to do the same.
Start forming good habits by:
- Spiritual habits. Read your Word (the Holy Bible) and spend time with the Lord!
- Physical habits. Take care of your body, eat well, drink lots of water, and exercise.
- Keep your environment clean. Work at keeping a routine, forming housekeeping schedules, and maintaining some sense of organization. It never has to be perfect (remember we’re not trying to be perfect!) but at least you’ll feel better about your surroundings when you have some sense of order. Start small and maybe with one room, then work your way throughout the entire home. Setting up chore charts for your kids to pitch in will definitely help to take a load off.
**Winner of the Great Homeschool Conventions is Leah R.! Congrats to our winner, and thanks to everyone who participated.